How to create the perfect desk space
See that picture below? That’s my little office haven. I work from home, but I know the importance of having an office space to get focused in (and more importantly, leave at the end of the work day). It’s not the prettiest workplace, but it’s perfect for me. It’s got everything I need to be comfortable and motivated.
So, what should you add to your desk to create the perfect working environment? Here are my top tips:
Ok, not strictly part of your desk, but you’re going to spend a lot of time sitting down so it’s essential that you get a chair that’s supportive and comfortable. Sorry to bore on about this, but your back and posture will thank you for taking this advice! If you’re struggling, speaking to your HR or health and safety department to make sure you’ve got the correct equipment, all at the right levels, and any extra parts like a foot rest or back support to make your day more comfortable. That’s what the department is there for!
If you have a bit of a hoarding habit on your desk, and often have paperwork and bits and pieces littering your desk, you need storage. Sexy storage. I’ve got one word for you here people. Paperchase. They’ve got plenty of gorgeous boxes perfect for filling with your stationery, a project or your 3pm snack attack savours. I love this Paridiso box above, especially as it’s only £6.75
WHSmiths is also worth a look, and I’ve got these Multi Drawers in a couple of different designs. Paperclips and lipgloss in the top, documents in the bottom.
Alternatively, why not get crafty? Pick up some simple boxes, and decorate them with doodles or stamps (Skull and Cross Buns do great ones), or even cover them in your choice of wallpaper!
I know it’s not always easy to add a personal touch to your desk, especially if you work in a corporate environment where personality is frowned upon (believe me, I’ve been there!), but little bits and pieces will really help.
Here are a few suggestions:
- A photo frame of a loved one – whether it be your other half, your family or a big group of friends. It might even be your favourite holiday destination, or a pic of your upcoming holiday to keep you going.
- A quote that inspires you. I have a Love What You Do, Do What You Love print to remind me when things get tough that I’m doing something I love.
- Books that help motivate you or are great for reference. I have a bundle of inspiring books stacked up on my window for this.
- A plant. A bit of greenery can make a big difference. If, like me, you’re bad at remembering to water them, a orchid is a low maintenance choice.
There are a few things you can add to your drawers to make your day easier, as well as your work-to-cocktail bar change all the easier!
- Healthy snacks. Keep some low fat peanut butter in your drawer and have it with fruit or crackers, or some breakfast bars. Soup sachets are great too for keeping you going
- Basic make up. Vaseline, mascara and perfume. Great for a quick touch up before a meeting or leaving work.
- A pair of flat shoes if you’re going to be out and about, or a pair of black heels if you need a pair last minute.
- Stationery. Spare pens, pretty notepads and more paperclips than you ever think you’ll need.
So, how do you personalise your desk space?